Saturday, 8 August 2020

2020-08-07 "BEST DAY EVER" - AGAIN!

 Dried Meat Lake

Ted's Report:

It is funny how it seems to always be the "Best Day Ever" when I am not there to take photos!

It was windy but rained hard all day here.  The rain quit at about 5:00 as the wind died.  I did not try to go out and did not think of driving East - Damn.

Of course none of my friends called or emailed to let me know where they were going...


Lac St. Anne - Alberta Beach

Harold's Report:

Ross and I watched a huge storm cell move up from Rocky Mountain House North East across Pigeon Lake toward Edmonton and on.  It started to rain hard in Edmonton, but it seemed to be missing Lac Ste Anne, so we headed out after lunch.  It was a gamble, but as soon as we left Edmonton the rain turned into a very light shower and was gone by the time we got to Alberta Beach.  For a moment it looked like the wind might die as well, but then it came back with a vengeance. 

Lac Ste Anne was a happenin’ place today.

Ross, the infamous Matt, Vadim, and I all showed up at the pier at about 1:30PM.  Ross got out first, but the wind didn’t cut in immediately.  It held off for more deserving individuals, namely, ME.  But then it cranked.

Ross used his 9 meter kite and later his 7 meter kite.  He threw some monumental jumps and landed them with panache.  Matt was also on a 9 meter kite. 

Vadim used his 6.5 sail (which was way too big) and then his 5.6 together with his 99 liter board.  Once he switched to his 5.6 he was very pleased with his day.  I used my 5.3 (which was probably too big but worked well) and my 83 liter board.

I loved the big swells piling up on the shore today until they started going backwards.  Why are some of the swells going backwards I asked myself?  Have I got vertigo?  Senility (as some of you suspect)?   I finally figured out that I was sailing in front of the pier and the swells were big enough that they were bouncing off the pier and back out into the lake (something Tim has talked about).  But I wouldn’t sell the Senility theory short. 

Ross's Report:

The day from a kite perspective.

It was 9m early and then quickly advanced to solid 7m.  I held onto my 9m fully depowered since I am both lazy and didn't want to pump up a second kite, and the 9 was giving me good jumping power.  In result of my poor decision, I am very sore today. The 7m later in the day was a much better choice. Matt rode his 9m since he had opted to bring his 21m and leave his 7m at home, he thought he was driving to a light wind session!

The sun was out, it was warm, good swell especially further out and we had the lake to ourselves from 1300 to when we packed up at 1830, except for two pesky windsurfers inside the bay.  Can we ban these things from the water ways?  They can be such a hazard to navigation.....kidding.

To quote Matt in his text to me: "I'm a little shocked. That was such an amazingly fabulous session."

For those who had other commitments, if the forecast holds Sunday looks good.

Also interested to find out what happened at Slave L.  It looked windy up there!

Awaiting further reports from the Windsurfing Central. 


Wabamun Lake - Jim's Place

Kent's report:

It was windy!  The rain stopped around 11:30 and Cam, Jim, and Ben went out.  Cam was foiling on a 3.7, Jim foiling on 4.2, and Ben sailing a 4.7.   Blaine and I arrived at 1:00 or so.  Blaine rigged a 4.2 and foiled.  I rigged a 4.5 and was blown off the water so rigged a 3.8 and foiled for an hour or so.  On a flat 3.8 I basically ran upwind downwind terrified foiling….  Not sure how the others hung on!

Blaine and I gave up on being way overpowered and rigged 4.8’s and took 85l boards out for a rip..  Totally powered!   I am 20% faster on a windsurfer than a foil and the water is way rougher when you are actually on it.   We sailed for close to 2 hours and then took a break..  The swells were big.   You could Jibe on one if you were aggressive!

5:00 or so we went back out foiling on 3.8 and 4.2, again overpowered but now it was a little easier…

Off the water around 6:30.

Jim Foiling

Ben, Big Air Jim, and Cam
Three Generations of Foilers!

Gear on the lawn

Slave Lake

Gerry's Report:

Sailed a 4.8 at Canyon in the am. Wind was west so very holey first 1/3 of a mile out. Very powered past there.

I drove to Slave in the afternoon. Rigged a 5.3 with the Stubby. Took a while to get through the break as the wind was directly onshore with waves crashing into the willows. Massively overpowered once I got going. Think a 4.2 would have been a better call. Got rolled into the willows getting back in, luckily didn't damage anything. The airport showed wind gusting to the high 60'skm. Definitely no holes there.

You have to squeeze between Eddie's boat and the willows to get in and out.  Makes for some dicey moments.  Water is chest-deep at the back of his boat.

Also no rain at all here.

Forcast 30 to 50 both today and tomorrow.



Wednesday, 5 August 2020

2020-08-05 - Almost Windfoiling - then Wake Foiling

It seemed to be windy enough around 3:00, so I loaded my gear in my truck and drove down the hill.  I sat on the pier watching the waves, feeling the wind, and looking at all the weeds I would have to get through to get out.

I decided that the wind wasn't quite strong enough.  Maybe I should have gone out, but it was one of those days when you look upwind and into the sun and it looks windy, but when you look downwind and down-sun it really doesn't.  

Anyway, I made the call and drove the truck back up the hill and unloaded my gear - I may have had a great day if I had gone, or I may have saved myself a lot of pumping and slogging....

The wind calmed right down in the evening, so Spencer, Louise and I headed out.  Louise brought out her wakesurf board, just in case, but we couldn't convince her to take a turn.  Spencer and I had a great time and foiled until it was almost dark!




Add caption

Tuesday, 4 August 2020

2020-08-04 Beautiful day for Wake Foiling

I had seen a youtube video where the fellow was saying that a shorter fuselage would make the foil more responsive (less stable), but would also make it easier to pump.  Spencer has been trying to learn to pump and is very close to being able to keep speed away from the boat.  I have a short fuselage, so we decided to try a bunch of different combinations.

First, we tried my Hover Glide H4 wing on the short fuselage, then my 84cm Infinity wing on the short fuselage, and finally back to the way it was.  The short fuselage makes the foil seem very twitchy and unstable.  The smaller H4 wing was ridiculous, but the larger Infinity wing was better.  Spencer was able to control it, but I had difficulty.  I'm not sure what the future holds - I think Spencer likes the quick response of the short fuselage, (better for stupid stuff like tricks and jumps) - but I prefer the longer more stable one.  Maybe he will have to buy a foil himself...

Ted on the large fuselage and Infinity Wing

Spencer on the short fuselage and H4 Wing!

Monday, 3 August 2020

2020-08-03 Foiling at Brad's

Pigeon Lake - Golden Days

Ted's Report:

The wind report looked very strange.  There was a high between Pigeon Lake and Dried Meat Lake. We had a light wind from the South, while Pigeon Lake had a stronger wind from the North West.  As the day passed the high was to move east, so by 3:00 we should have the same wind that Pigeon Lake had in the morning.

Wind blowing NW at Pigeon Lake and SE at Dried Meat Lake

I had packed my van the day before, so I left just after 10:00, stopped in Wetaskiwin at the Subway, and arrived at Brad's just after noon.  Brad and Blaine were already out on the water.  (I found out later they had been out since 10:00 am.)

I almost rigged my 6.0 as it looked quite windy, but ended up rigging my 7.0.  I am glad I did as it got me through a lot of the lulls - even though it was a bit of a handful in the gusts.  It was fun foiling with Brad and Blaine.  I was out of almost an hour, and then the wind just quit.  I was way out, so it took me a while to get back.  

I had sailed almost 10km, Blaine had foiled 32km and Brad 27km.  Blaine and Brad were on their 6.0 flyers.  Blaine is getting close with his jibes.  Brad and I are still struggling, but carrying speed through a few.

Harold - rigging his 6.1 - just in case....

When I arrived back at the beach, Harold and Vadim were there looking out at the water.  Mike arrived a short time later.  

Brad and Blaine got in the hot tub with Brad's grandson Calvin, while I got out my lunch and ate it.  We all sat around wondering if the wind would pick up again.

Blaine and Brad having a cool one after a long session!

Harold - looking for Wind...

Andreas arrived and got out his foil board and Flysurfer kite.  He did manage to get the kite in the air - sort of - and did have one run until he crashed his kite (no wind) and got separated from his board.  Brad, Mike, and Calvin went out in Brad's boat and rescued him.

Andreas - ready to go - looking for just a bit of wind...
Andreas - rescued!

Vadin took out his Go Board and had a good sail, although didn't get much planing.

Vadim - heading out!

Harold rigged his 6.1 and got his board out, but didn't go out.

At 3:30, I gave up and started to de-rig.  As I left at around 4:00, it did seem like the wind might be picking up, but there were also some storms coming.  I hope the guys got a decent sail. 

(Harold later reported to me that I didn't miss anything.  When the storm came, they all left.  Harold said the storm chased him all the way home!)

When I got home at 5:30, the wind at Dried Meat Lake was just picking up!  Unfortunately, a thunderstorm was also just arriving.  We had some big swells with the wind blowing the tops off the waves - probably 70km gusts.    We had lots of thunder and lighting along with some rain!  When the storm finally quit at about 8:00 the lake calmed right down again...  

Swells on Dried Meat Lake!

Brad - very proud of his grandson Patrick
Blaine won the day with the most KM on the water!

Andreas was practicing doing kiting stunts, making his kite contort in all kinds of weird shapes.  It was very impressive!





Just as I was about to publish this post, Vadim sent me some of his photos.  Thanks Vadim.  Here they are!

Ted

Ted - Lunch Time

Brad and Calvin

Harold - rigging because he had nothing better to do!

Brad's grandson Calvin

Blaine

Mike

Mike - where is the wind!

Finally - some wind...  but a storm is a brewing!







Sunday, 2 August 2020

2020-08-02 Foiling at Dried Meat Lake

Dried Meat Lake - Paradise Drive

Ted's Report:

The wind in the morning looked like it was almost enough to foil, but.....  After staring at the water for an hour, Louise and I decided to go for a bike ride to town.  We rode to DQ for a burger and Sunday - 42km return.  The ride home was brutal with the heat and the headwind.



When I got home, I was pretty well toast, but the wind had picked up and was blowing right down the lake from the South East, so I HAD to take out my foil and give it a try.

The foiling was pretty good.  I foiled most of the time and almost planed through a few jibes (with the board firmly planted on the water).

There was quite a bit of boat traffic, and I am not sure that they understood that I had the right of way, or maybe they just looking at their grandkids on the tube behind the boat and not looking where they were going.

I quit after 10k I had to stop.  I sat in the shade, drinking water, and trying to recover.  Great day - two sports!






2020-08-01 Kent's Update from Wabamun

Wabamun Lake

Kent's Report:

Friday.  Kent got a little and sailed up to Jim's and back alone.  7.0M and big wing

Kent's Friday Session!

Saturday-   Blaine, Jim, and Kent at Jim's place for 10:30 start.  Very slow to start, barely foiling with my 7 but it picked up after about 45 minutes and we were foiling.   Jim’s grandson Ben sailed a 5.2 and a go board.  The kid will be really good if he stays with it!   Almost kicking it to a plane but not quite.   

Three sessions for Kent.  26K on 7.  16K on my 6, and 25 k on the 5.2.   Blaine sailed the same sail sizes as Kent and is nearly foiling his jibes!   Jim sailed 7.0 the whole day.  I have no idea how the hell he hung on to a 7 while I WAS SMOKING ON A 5.2….   Here’s the photo of Kent and Blaine’s rigging yard after the day and my 5.2 track from Strava.

Kent and Blaine's Rigging Yard...

Kent's Track

Saturday, 1 August 2020

2020-08-01 Foiling Frenzy

Pigeon Lake - Golden Days

Ted's Report:

I got to Brad's at about 12:30.  Brad, Harold, and Mike were already there.  Andreas, Ross, and Tim arrived just after I did, and Vadim arrived a few minutes later.

The wind was building.  Brad went out first and slogged around for a while until the wind started to build. Andreas was the next out on his Flysurfer Kite and foil board.  

I have to admit that we were sitting on the beach commenting on how there was no way he could get his kite in the air - but he did and then took off on the foil.  He had a couple of sessions foiling, and another long session just Kiteboarding!


That was enough for Harold who went out on his 6.1.  I followed shortly after that on my 7.0 Flyer and foil board.  

Vadim was making his go-board and big sail work!

Everyone got out.  Ross had the most time on the water on his kiteboard and 11m (I think).  Mike was out on his kiteboard, and Tim borrowed one of Andreas's kites and had a good session as well.

Not sure what is going on with Mike's kite.....

Brad and I came in after a couple of hours for a rest, and then went out for a second session.

It was a beautiful day and hot enough so there was no getting cold.  It was nice falling in the water so that we could cool off - although a pain uphauling my 7.0!

I came off the water at about 5:00 and packed up and headed home.  Great Day!  I think the others hung around for a bit to have a beer, talk about the day, and drown their sorrows after the Oilers' loss to Chicago 6-4.



Oh - I forgot my Garmin watch, so I don't have anything to upload to strava.....  Was I really there?   Did I actually sail?  I chased Brad around for most of the day, so I assume that I sailed about the same distance as him - maybe a bit less.  Here is Brad's track...



Brad's First session of the day!

Mike's Final Note:

After everyone else left Brad and I were enjoying the evening heat as the wind continued for some time ……mellowing out contemplating another session but not acting on it  …….   when all of a sudden a freak gust came from behind the cabin elevated the umbrella complete with heavy table and umbrella base weight and deposited it on the lawn a few feet from the deck …….glass tabletop survived but he umbrella tilt mechanism and post suffered a bit …..never underestimate the power of the wind!!!  Fortunately, it didn't fly quite far enough to Skewer Brad's rig which was sitting in the front yeard...
 


End of a great day!  Ross crashed his kite into the Boat Hoist in the dying wind...

Wabamun Lake - Jimmy's Place

Blaine's Report:

Blaine had the Best Day Ever!  He foiled on his 7.0, 6.0 and 5.2 Flyer!
He sailed with Kent and Big Air Jim, but he didn't say anything about their day.