Sunday 20 September 2020

2020-09-20 Warm and Windy in September!

Wabamun Lake - Big Air Jim's Place

Jim's Report:

We had a wonderful day at Wabamun today. Cam, Cynthia, Kent and I ripped it up on our foils.

The BEST FALL was Kent from waaay upstairs. 

The BEST GYBE (Kent excluded) was Cam - no er um -  Cynthia.

The BEST SURVIVAL GYBE to hula sheet innnn no outttttttt. No sheet in ..... Jim.

I hope everyone else had a great day as well!

Pigeon Lake - Brad's Place

Harold's Report:

Here’s the Official Richens' Report. 

The usual suspects showed up at Brad’s place – Brad, Blaine, Al, Vadim, and me. 

When I arrived, Blaine and Brad were rigging 5.4s with the foils.  Blaine went out, came back, and persuaded Brad that he should rig his 4.2, which Brad and Blaine proceeded to do.  The wind blasted for a couple of hours.  Al was on his 83-liter board and used his 5.6 sail.  Vadim was on his 99 board and used his 5.5.  I used my 6.1.  They blasted, I piddled in the swells.  Everyone was happy!

There was a half-hour lull at about 2PM, then the winds came back strong again, with just a little less power.  So we used the same stuff again – a good choice for all!

By the way, we all thought that Allan was going to have a long, long walk back during the lull, but he eked out enough reaches during the lull to stagger back to Brad’s beach (well done Al!)– just in time for the winds to come back.  Isn’t that the way it always goes?

Then into the hot tub, where Brad served beer and duck sausage (thanks Brad!).  A perfect end to a great day!

Some photos from Vadim!







Lac St. Anne - Alberta Beach

Ross's Report:

Alberta Beach was sunny, breezy, and relatively warm.  Andreas, Ross, and Matt foiled.  

This listing also represents the relative number of head plants in increasing order with Andreas keeping his hair driest by a large margin.  

It was 5m kite foiling, but I did not lack for power as since I have no clue what I am doing was on my 7m.  Huge lull at 1500 (ie no wind?) had us off the water.  The wind came back at reduced strength about 1530 or so, but we were tired and chilled (all those head plants) and instead of re rigging we acted our age and drove into the city, to the Beer Revolution patio for some Octoberfest beers on the patio in the sun.    

Dried Meat Lake - Ted's Place

Ted's Report:

Laura and Frances were visiting from Calgary, so I didn't get out until mid-afternoon.  The wind was quite gusty. I rigged my 6.0, which was way too much a lot of the time, just right for some of the time and occasionally not enough.  There were a lot of floating weeds, so most of the time I had at least one hanging off my mast.  As I was overpowered most of the time, I was usually able to foil even with the weeds trailing behind.  I had a really good afternoon and came in at about 5:00 as the wind was dying.  As usual, Louise took a few photos!





SAFETY  ALERT!!!

For those foilers using a mechanical universal!

Check the mounting bolt!!!!

I was about to connect my sail today when I noticed that the connecting bolt on my mechanical universal had backed out about halfway.  If I had gone out with it like that it would have almost certainly come apart leaving me with my sail disconnected from my board.

Check this bolt regularly - tighten with lock tight.

Connecting bolt backed off 1/4 inch...
I easily loosened it by hand...

Ross's comment on the Safety Alert!

How come we get safety alerts about nuts on bolts on windsurfers but nothing about 10m tall trees at Lac La Biche and kites?




 


1 comment: