Saturday 26 September 2020

2020-09-26 Rigging, Rigging, Rigging

Lac Ste. Anne - Alberta Beach

Al's Report:

Vadim and I were the windsurfers at Alberta Beach doing our best to get in the way of the kiters.  

There was lots of rigging and in/out of the water happening with Al setting up 2 boards and three sails, Vadim rigging two sails and two boards. 

The wind started light but I ended with my 85 liter board and 5.5 sail as the perfect set-up. 

I had a good 3 hours of sailing before the arms gave out.

Ross's Report:

As typical, a late kite report.  Andrea's, Matt and Ross were at AB.  5m and 7m kite foiling for me and Andreas respectively, followed by 5m and 7m kiting, and then back to 5m kite foiling. The black cloud missed AB and wind was still blowing when I finished up at 1730.

A sauna would have been nice to cut the chill, but no such luxury at AB, or at least none of the cottage owners have ever offered to let us use theirs.

Wabamun Lake - Big Air Jim's Place

Ted's Report

When I got to Jim's at 11:15, Jim was working on replacing the valve stems on the rims that he had just re-painted for Jessie's trailer.  I offered to help.  Jim is a great delegator, and soon his son Mike and I were doing all the work and Jim was just looking on drinking coffee.  He did offer me some, however, I suspect that was only because he knows that I never drink coffee.  Anyway, we got the four valve stems replaced, filled the tires with air, and installed on the trailer.  They look great.


Blaine and Harold showed up just as we were finishing.  The parking was so full with family (and the holiday trailer), that Blaine, Harold, and I had to park next door at Cam and Cynthia's.  Cynthia was already there with their girls, and Cam arrived a short time later.

Harold went out on his 6.1 to windsurf and hung on to it all day.  Blaine, Jim and I rigged our 5.2's and I think Cynthia was on a 4.7. I also blew up my 6.0 Wind Wing and gave it a try.  I couldn't get going heading out, but twice on the way back, once I hit the calmer water (and got a gust), I was able to get the board up on the foil!  Wow - I was stoked, but also worn out.  Having proved that I can actually get on a foil, I will leave it for a calmer and warmer day!  I went in and took out my 5.2 Flyer for some Wind Foiling.

Wind Wing!

Harold Blasting!

Jim - Nailing his Jibes!

We all had a great sail in gusty conditions.  I did probably my best jibe ever, and Blaine saw it as I jibed around him!  Blaine is really nailing his jibes, and Jim is not far behind.  I have some catching up to do. After about an hour, the wind picked up and we all came in for lunch.  The re-rigging frenzy began in earnest.  Cynthia rigged at least three times, as did Cam.  Blaine went down to a 4.2, and then later in the day back up to his 5.2.  I don't recall what Jim did, but he went through several sails as well!


Cynthia - Great Day!

Cam - making it look easy!

Rumour!  Cam just ordered a custom Roberts foil board.  Not sure when he will get it, but he is stoked about it!

We all saw a big ugly cloud coming from behind the cabin (well everyone except Harold).  Everyone came off the water, except Cam and Harold.  The wind shut off like a switch.  Cam, on his big foilboard was able to make it home without a problem.  Harold, on the other hand, had been trying to eke out a few more reaches and was left in the middle of the lake, not able to water start.

Blaine had volunteered to put on his wetsuit again and head out on the Jetski to rescue Harold, but when Cam came back, he said he would do it.  I may have the September Calendar photo of Cam on the Jetski, towing Harold back to shore!

Next year's September Calendar Photo - maybe...

Great day had by all, and did I mention Cam's Sauna, which was a real bonus and an easy way to warm up!  Oh, and Jim's Grandson Ben also got out and had some great runs!

Jim's Grandson, (Mike son), Ben!

Thanks to Jim, Lucille, Cam and Cynthia for hosting and putting up with us!

Windy Day at Jim's!

More of my photos of the day are here on my Flickr Site.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment