Sunday 27 September 2020

2020-09-27 More Wind - not quite so warm...

Pigeon Lake - Brad's Place

Harold's Report:

I figured maybe Saturday was a spectacular end for me for the year.  I backed my van into a tree (ouch – to my pocketbook), had to be rescued (ouch – to my ego), cut my finger on my broken taillight (just – ouch), and trapped my friend Ted in the parking lot while I floated around in the middle of the lake (Sorry!).  But in between that I enjoyed a great sailing day on the lake and was happy to see Jim and all of his brood (Thanks for all your hospitality). 

So I still had a little windsurfing itch that had to be scratched.  I tried to ignore it Sunday morning as I slept in and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast.  I tried to convince myself that despite the trees blowing around outside the window, it was just too cold.  But finally Rochelle couldn’t stand the twitching and told me to call Brad.  I thought – Brad isn’t at the lake, so I have the “safety” excuse.  But he and Blaine were at Pigeon.  That was it – FOMO!!!  Off I went. 

Brad rigged his 5.2 foil rig (I think),  Blaine rigged his 4.2, and I rigged my 6.1 (ordinary boring windsurfing rig).  Lots of wind and lots of bumps.  We all blasted for about 1 ¼ hours, then it died.  Still, lots of smiles. 

Brad and Blaine rigged up and went out just as I left, but I don’t think they lasted long.  It seemed pretty calm.

Good day at Pigeon!

Curious about who else got out. 

Wabamun Lake - Big Air Jim's Place

Kent's Report:

Wabamum was 5.2 foiling with Cam, Jim, Ben (finning), and Kent for 2 to 3 hours.

Big Air Jim's Report:

On a day like today, with strong winds and mild temperatures, it was sad to drag the Jet Ski off the lift one last time. We brought in the lift and took our moorage bouy out of the water.  Sad. 

The forecast for wind doesn't look great until October 8th but with the evenings getting longer and colder, I think pushing the season into early October has significant risks. 

We had a great season everyone, a terrific job of diarizing every outing Ted. Thank you.

Let's stay safe so we can play safe again next year.

Lac Ste Anne - Alberta Beach

Ross's Report:

Matt and Ross at Alberta Beach.  5m foiling from 1100 until 1400 when the wind backed off.  Surprisingly nice waves, the sun was out, but the wind was cold and the water also has a nasty bite.  No sauna or hot tub to warm up in, so back to Edmonton for a couple of Sunday afternoon happy hour beers and snacks with Andreas (who was busy this AM and tired from the great Saturday foiling) and Sue.

Vimy Alberta

Ted's Report:

I was helping Louise's parents with an open house for their farm property, so got to sit outside on their driveway in the wind and dream about sailing/foiling/winging....

Cynthia sent me some photos she took Saturday.

Cam - putting away the Jetski after the successful Harold rescue!

Cam and Blaine

Harold

Blaine

Ben

Cam and Harold



No comments:

Post a Comment